Rebel: Rockabilly to Rock & Roll!
February 23, 2019
Palmer House Hilton Hotel
On February 23, 2019 the entire 4th floor of the Palmer House Hilton Hotel was transformed by the team from For the Love of Chocolate Foundation as they hosted their 14th annual Gala, Rebel: Rockabilly to Rock & Roll. Participating chef volunteers were outfitted in custom designed theme appropriate chef attire provided by Sunstarr Apparel. Guests enjoyed 2 live DJs and a 1950’s band Rosie and the Rivets, 10 premium open bars along with a filling station hosted by Eris Brewery and Cider House, a Soda Fountain serving boozy shakes created using spirits from CH Distillery, Guittard Chocolate, Nielsen-Massey Vanillas and Capannari Ice Cream, décor build outs by Freelance Studios, a Retro version of Amy’s Candy Bar made up of items from Hershey, Jelly Belly and many local artisans, a Mobil DJ experience from NewMoon Chicago, 1950’s Salon hosted by Mario Tricoci, sweet and savory tables from over 90 local Chefs and much, much more!
For the Love of Chocolate Foundation awards culinary arts training scholarships to non-profit organizations promoting commitment to pastry and baking arts education. The awards are for individuals looking to change careers, as well as individuals who have shown potential in the culinary field but have no formal pastry and baking education.
The foundation prides itself in:
- Supporting Culinary Programs with monetary awards for Baking & Pastry Scholarships since 2007.
- Hosting career opportunities for culinary student volunteers, sponsoring vendors and culinary industry employers.
- Mentoring culinary student volunteers through hands-on training at fundraising events.
To date, the Foundation has raised $930,000 in scholarships and affected over 290 lives. As of 2019, the Foundation directly supports the following programs with monetary awards toward scholarships or career building opportunities:
- After School Matters
- C-CAP – Careers Through Culinary Arts Program
- College of DuPage
- Curt’s Café
- Gateway to Learning
- Illinois Restaurant Association Education Foundation
- Ivy Technical College
- Joliet Junior College
- Kendall College Trust
- The Center on Halsted, Silver Fork
- The Floured Apron
- The French Pastry School Foundation
- Washburne Culinary Institute at City Colleges of Chicago
Stay tuned for more info about our exciting plans for the future and our upcoming events
The Rebel Recipe
- 2 Cool Cat DJ’s
- 1 Rockabilly Band
- 40 pastry and confectionery chef stations
- 18 top Gourmet Savory Creations
- 12 Open premium bars
- 1500 Good Eggs dressed in pinup & 1950’s Rockabilly Clothes
- 1 great Palmer House Hotel
Whisk amongst Interactive Spectacles and wait for the good eggs to mingle, grind and munch.
2 hours in, whip all the eggs together in front of the Grand Runway for a Pin-up Fashion Show.
Once they come to a fine froth, parade them back into the Rad Red bowl and Jive to Rosie and her Rivets.
Bake to perfection!